Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Stow on the Wold

In the morning we were treated to a big breakfast of Malt Wheats and Bovril on toast. We confessed that we had no plan of action for the next few days so we headed out to Stow on the Wold. The weather was contrastingly beautiful considering the ever present flooding which was a welcome relief to so many folk. Stow is a beautiful old village in the Cotswolds where I had been with them during my last visit (and where I had bought my leather jacket). It was just as I had remembered. We sat in the churchyard and had our lunch before walking through the village looking at the shops and sending some mail – the Royal Mail always gets through!




Lou finally got to Royal Worcester - a lifelong dream for her and it was well worth the wait. Only one tiny disappointment – they now make Royal Worcester in Portugal. Not really appropriate to call it Worcester now, though! She was buzzing before they even got into the shop, but once there, she was completely overwhelmed with the volume of china there and all the lovely varieties. Nonetheless she was most taken with the Worcester Herbs range which she already had, and she bought 6 bowls and 6 bread and butter plates for breakfasts. Next time she thinks she’ll get 8 dinner plates. The Evesham range is her next favourite which makes my wallet feel a little lighter.


While Lou and Sally were out, Mark and I looked after Will and Ben in their back yard. We went for a walk and played in a field where a tractor was sitting. The bucket was full of water – evidence of the tremendous downpours the areas had been suffering.


Mark and Sally didn’t have an internet connection but one of their friends in the village had a wireless router which I could use. Mark and I took a stroll over the field and down the road to Pete and Jane’s where we my laptop picked up an unsecured internet connection. We met them outside and had a chat and they offered me the use of the connection any time I wanted. I quickly checked my email and booked some tickets from Cheltenham to Bath for a day trip.

I decided I wanted to cook a meal for the Hornby family so I chose my famous Sausage Casserole with modified ingredients. It went down a real treat and the English sausages were very tasty. We spent the rest of the evening playing their board games – Compatibility and Absolute Balderdash.